A medical college called Kathmandu Medical College and Teaching Hospital (KMCTH) is situated in Nepal’s capital city of Kathmandu. Kathmandu Medical College is a private medical school in Nepal that was founded in 1997. The Medical Council of Nepal, Sri Lanka Medical Council, General Medical Council (UK), and Medical Council of India all fully acknowledge the Kathmandu Medical College.
It is also permanently associated with Kathmandu University. As of June 2002, Kathmandu Medical College was also included in the digitized World Directory of Medical Schools published by the WHO.
The Kathmandu Medical College is included in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) after receiving full approval from the NMC. The Network Towards Unity for Health (TUFH), whose headquarters are in Glen, has Kathmandu Medical College as an Associate Member.
The Principal of Kathmandu Medical College is Prof. Dr. Chanda Karki, a prominent obstetrician and gynecologist in the nation, a former head of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at Kathmandu Medical College, and a former president of the Nepal Society of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. The Director of the Teaching Hospital of the Kathmandu Medical College is Dr. Mukund Raj Joshi. Several members of our teaching staff have extensive experience teaching in medical colleges both domestically and internationally, including Kathmandu Medical College.
About Kathmandu Medical College
|University Name||Kathmandu Medical College, Nepal|
|Eligibility Criteria||– An aggregate of 50% in 10+2 or HSE
– Must have PCB as the main subject in 10+2
|NEET Examination Required||Yes, the required score in the NEET exam is required|
|Entrance Examination Required||Not required|
|Approved by||– Medical Council of Nepal
– World Health Organization
– Medical Council of India
– General Medical Council
|Medium of Education||English and Nepali language|
|Course Duration||5 years|
|Country Ranking||1st position in country rankings|
Kathmandu Medical College Ranking
The sixth-ranked college in Nepal is Kathmandu Medical College. Additionally, it is ranked 12223rd globally. Many of the top-listed associations have accredited it. Consideration should be given to attending this college to study MBBS in Nepal.
Study MBBS in Nepal
The MBBS program in Nepal typically follows a structured curriculum, and I’ve simplified the information you provided for easier understanding:
Academics of Kathmandu Medical College
- Duration: Four and a half years, followed by a 1-year compulsory residential rotating internship.
- Language of Instruction: English
Preclinical Curriculum (Semesters 1-4)
- First and second years include subjects like Anatomy, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Physiology.
- These subjects are integrated and taught alongside Community Medicine and Introduction to Clinical Medicine.
- Medical Informatics is integrated to provide computer expertise relevant to medical education.
- University examinations are held at the end of the first and second years.
- Students must complete all preclinical subjects within specified timeframes.
Clinical Sciences (Semesters 5-9)
- Clinical subjects include Forensic Medicine, Community Medicine, Ophthalmology, Medicine & Allied Subjects, Psychiatry, Dermatology, Radiology, Emergency Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Pediatrics, and other specialties.
- Third-year university examinations are held for Forensic Medicine, Community Medicine, and Ophthalmology.
- A student cannot progress to the ninth semester without passing these subjects.
- Ninth semester includes final university examinations in Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Pediatrics.
- Continuous evaluation is conducted through fortnightly tests, semester exams, end-posting evaluations, seminars, and problem-based learning sessions.
- The continuous evaluation system contributes to excellent results in university examinations.
- Preclinical teaching includes didactic classroom lectures, practical sessions, problem-based learning (PBL) sessions, and community/hospital visits.
- Seminars and PBLs are conducted every fortnight to provide clinical orientation.
- Clinical teaching involves practical training in hospitals, community visits, symposia, seminars, clinical meetings, faculty talks, and guest lectures.
- An emphasis is placed on clinical practical training.
- A one-year rotating internship is compulsory.
- Different internship schemes are approved for students from various countries.
- Internships can be completed in Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, Australia, USA, UK, and South Africa.
- Internship rules are subject to change based on the regulations of the Medical Council of Nepal.
Admission Procedure For Kathmandu Medical College
- Application forms for admission into medical colleges in Nepal are typically available in September/October.
- Applicants can collect these forms from authorized centers in India and abroad.
- The filled application form should be accompanied by various documents, including a passport or Aadhar card, a recent passport-size photo, and attested copies of 10th and 12th-grade mark sheets.
- An application fee of INR 5000 payable to the Medical Education Commission, Nepal, is required.
- If applying for direct admission based on NEET scores, candidates need to include their NEET scorecard.
- The MEC entrance exam is conducted only in Nepal, so applicants from other countries need to travel there to take the exam.
- If there are more applicants through the MEC entrance examination compared to direct NEET admission, priority will be given to candidates who have qualified through the entrance exam.
Eligibility Criteria For Kathmandu Medical College
Admission to medical colleges MBBS in Nepal for Indian students follows two main pathways: one through an entrance examination conducted by the Medical Education Commission (MEC) and the other through direct admission based on NEET scores for Indian students. Here’s a simplified explanation:
Direct Admission Through NEET Scores for Indian Students:
- Indian students seeking direct admission to private medical colleges in Nepal can do so based on their NEET scores.
- The MBBS course duration is 4.5 years, followed by a 1-year internship.
- Eligibility criteria include passing 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology with a 50% aggregate or equivalent grades from certificate-level programs.
- Candidates should be at least 17 years old by the application deadline.
Admission Through MEC Entrance Examination:
- Students interested in studying MBBS in specific Nepalese institutions like BP Koirala Institute of Health Science, Dharan Institute of Medical Science, Patan Academy of Health Science, Kamali Academy of Health Science, Nepalese Army Institute of Health Science, and Kathmandu University School of Medical Science need to take the MEC entrance examination.
- To qualify, candidates must score a minimum of 50% in this entrance exam.
- Only NEET scores from the current academic year will be considered for admission.
- The minimum NEET score required for general category candidates will determine their eligibility.
Documents Required For Kathmandu Medical College
- 10th mark sheet and certificate.
- 12th mark sheet and certificate.
- Birth certificate
- 10th passport-size photographs
- Official invitation letter from the Kathmandu Medical College.
- Verified documents from the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi
- Verified documents by the Nepal Embassy.
- Visa fees
- Bank receipt of the paid tuition fee of 1st year.
Advantages of Studying at Kathmandu Medical College
- The weather in Kathmandu is pleasant. Being there for your coursework allows you to take advantage of the city on your free days. You can also adopt a different way of life and culture.
- The fact that Hindi and English are both spoken in this area makes attending this college advantageous. Everywhere, communication is necessary since it creates a comfortable environment for you.
- Students from India who apply to this college do not need visas. Similar to India in terms of food, culture, location, and festivals. You can quickly adjust to your environment.
- The university’s curriculum is comparable to that of the National Medical Commission (NMC).
- This university offers outstanding instruction to MBBS students. The degree obtained is relevant to numerous.
Faculty & Staff
Kathmandu Medical College in Nepal offers a wide array of facilities to cater to the diverse needs of its students. These encompass a dedicated medical centre to address health concerns, a comprehensive library to support academic research, a spacious auditorium for various events and gatherings, comfortable hostel options for accommodation, advanced computer labs for technology-driven learning, sports facilities to promote physical well-being, a convenient cafeteria for dining, and well-equipped laboratories for practical experiments and research. These facilities collectively contribute to creating a conducive and enriching environment for both academic and personal growth.
Kathmandu Medical College offers a range of support services for its students. These services include anti-ragging measures to ensure a safe environment, counseling services for guidance and support, access to healthcare facilities, assistance with hostel accommodations, a platform for reporting issues and asking questions, and even local language learning classes. Whether you need help with personal or academic matters, we are here to provide the support you need during your time at the college.
AR Group of Education offers a range of services to students seeking higher education abroad. These services include:
Counseling: Our team of professionals with over a decade of experience provides unlimited counseling support to students throughout their journey with us. We guide students through the entire process, ensuring a smooth admission process.
College Selection: We maintain an updated list of colleges that are ideal for Indian students looking to study abroad. From recommending the best college to providing “done for you” services, we offer:
a) Scholarship guidance – Our team keeps up-to-date with ongoing scholarship programs and assists students in availing them.
b) Seat locking – We have tie-ups with top medical colleges in Nepal and other countries, ensuring students don’t miss an opportunity to secure admission to their dream college.
c) Travel/Visa Assistance – We understand the complexities of travel and visa procedures and thus offer students our assistance throughout the entire process, ensuring smooth travels.