Kathmandu University (KU) is a distinguished educational institution that was established by an Act of Parliament in December 1991. It operates as a not-for-profit university and is self-funded, focusing on maintaining high academic standards across various traditional and professional fields.
The primary goal of Kathmandu University is to provide excellent education that fosters the development of future leaders. Its vision is to become a world-class institution dedicated to advancing knowledge and technology for the betterment of humanity.
Kathmandu University offers a wide range of academic programs, many of which were groundbreaking initiatives in Nepal. These programs cover various fields such as Business Administration, Pharmacy, Environmental Science, Biotechnology, Human Biology, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Geomatics Engineering, Development Studies, Social Work, Technical Education, Media Studies, Civil Engineering with a specialization in Hydropower, Landscape Management, Heritage Studies, Doctor of Medicine (DM) in Gastroenterology, DM in Neurology, and MS by Research in Glaciology.
About Kathmandu University
|Name of Institute
|Year of Establishment
|Kathmandu University Ranking
List of Some Medical Colleges Affiliated with Kathmandu University
- College of Medical Science, Bharatpur
- Kathmandu University School of Medical Sciences
- Birat Medical College, Biratnagar
- Kathmandu Medical College (KMC), Kathmandu
- Nepal Medical College (NMC), Jorpati, Kathmandu
- Nepalgunj Medical College, Nepalgunj
- Lumbini Medical College (LMC), Palpa
- Nobel Medical College, Biratnagar
- Devdaha Medical College & Teaching Hospital
Kathmandu University Ranking
Kathmandu University holds the top ranking position, being recognized as the number one university in the country. On a global scale, Kathmandu University is positioned at 6543 in the world rankings. This reflects its strong reputation and standing both nationally and internationally.
Study MBBS in Nepal
The MBBS program in Nepal typically follows a structured curriculum, and I’ve simplified the information you provided for easier understanding:
Academics of Kathmandu University
- Duration: Four and a half years, followed by a 1-year compulsory residential rotating internship.
- Language of Instruction: English
Preclinical Curriculum (Semesters 1-4)
- First and second years include subjects like Anatomy, Microbiology, Pathology, Pharmacology, and Physiology.
- These subjects are integrated and taught alongside Community Medicine and Introduction to Clinical Medicine.
- Medical Informatics is integrated to provide computer expertise relevant to medical education.
- University examinations are held at the end of the first and second years.
- Students must complete all preclinical subjects within specified timeframes.
Clinical Sciences (Semesters 5-9)
- Clinical subjects include Forensic Medicine, Community Medicine, Ophthalmology, Medicine & Allied Subjects, Psychiatry, Dermatology, Radiology, Emergency Medicine, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Pediatrics, and other specialties.
- Third-year university examinations are held for Forensic Medicine, Community Medicine, and Ophthalmology.
- A student cannot progress to the ninth semester without passing these subjects.
- Ninth semester includes final university examinations in Medicine, Surgery, Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Pediatrics.
- Continuous evaluation is conducted through fortnightly tests, semester exams, end-posting evaluations, seminars, and problem-based learning sessions.
- The continuous evaluation system contributes to excellent results in university examinations.
- Preclinical teaching includes didactic classroom lectures, practical sessions, problem-based learning (PBL) sessions, and community/hospital visits.
- Seminars and PBLs are conducted every fortnight to provide clinical orientation.
- Clinical teaching involves practical training in hospitals, community visits, symposia, seminars, clinical meetings, faculty talks, and guest lectures.
- An emphasis is placed on clinical practical training.
- A one-year rotating internship is compulsory.
- Different internship schemes are approved for students from various countries.
- Internships can be completed in Nepal, India, Sri Lanka, Australia, USA, UK, and South Africa.
- Internship rules are subject to change based on the regulations of the Medical Council of Nepal.
Kathmandu University MBBS Fees Structure
Below have mentioned the Kathmandu University MBBS Fee Structure:
|Total Tution Fee
Admission Procedure For Kathmandu University
- Application forms for admission into medical colleges in Nepal are typically available in September/October.
- Applicants can collect these forms from authorized centers in India and abroad.
- The filled application form should be accompanied by various documents, including a passport or Aadhar card, a recent passport-size photo, and attested copies of 10th and 12th-grade mark sheets.
- An application fee of INR 5000 payable to the Medical Education Commission, Nepal, is required.
- If applying for direct admission based on NEET scores, candidates need to include their NEET scorecard.
- The MEC entrance exam is conducted only in Nepal, so applicants from other countries need to travel there to take the exam.
- If there are more applicants through the MEC entrance examination compared to direct NEET admission, priority will be given to candidates who have qualified through the entrance exam.
Eligibility Criteria For Kathmandu University
Admission to medical colleges MBBS in Nepal for Indian students follows two main pathways: one through an entrance examination conducted by the Medical Education Commission (MEC) and the other through direct admission based on NEET scores for Indian students. Here’s a simplified explanation:
Direct Admission Through NEET Scores for Indian Students:
- Indian students seeking direct admission to private medical colleges in Nepal can do so based on their NEET scores.
- The MBBS course duration is 4.5 years, followed by a 1-year internship.
- Eligibility criteria include passing 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology with a 50% aggregate or equivalent grades from certificate-level programs.
- Candidates should be at least 17 years old by the application deadline.
Admission Through MEC Entrance Examination:
- Students interested in studying MBBS in specific Nepalese institutions like BP Koirala Institute of Health Science, Dharan Institute of Medical Science, Patan Academy of Health Science, Kamali Academy of Health Science, Nepalese Army Institute of Health Science, and Kathmandu University School of Medical Science need to take the MEC entrance examination.
- To qualify, candidates must score a minimum of 50% in this entrance exam.
- Only NEET scores from the current academic year will be considered for admission.
- The minimum NEET score required for general category candidates will determine their eligibility.
Documents Required For Kathmandu University Admission
- 10th mark sheet and certificate.
- 12th mark sheet and certificate.
- Birth certificate
- 10th passport-size photographs
- Official invitation letter from the Kathmandu University.
- Verified documents from the Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi
- Verified documents by the Nepal Embassy.
- Visa fees
- Bank receipt of the paid tuition fee of 1st year.
Advantages of MBBS at Kathmandu University
- Passing the screening test allows MBBS students from Kathmandu University to practice medicine in both Nepal and India.
- Kathmandu University offers an exchange program that enables its students to study MBBS abroad.
- This exchange program is designed to improve students’ capabilities in conducting medical research.
- The institution hosts an exchange program that attracts foreign students from around the world, fostering interactions with students from different countries and facilitating the exploration of diverse cultures.
Faculty & Staff
Kathmandu University in Nepal offers a wide array of facilities to cater to the diverse needs of its students. These encompass a dedicated medical center to address health concerns, a comprehensive library to support academic research, a spacious auditorium for various events and gatherings, comfortable hostel options for accommodation, advanced computer labs for technology-driven learning, sports facilities to promote physical well-being, a convenient cafeteria for dining, and well-equipped laboratories for practical experiments and research. These facilities collectively contribute to creating a conducive and enriching environment for both academic and personal growth.
Kathmandu University offers a range of support services for its students. These services include anti-ragging measures to ensure a safe environment, counseling services for guidance and support, access to healthcare facilities, assistance with hostel accommodations, a platform for reporting issues and asking questions, and even local language learning classes. Whether you need help with personal or academic matters, we are here to provide the support you need during your time at the college.
AR Group of Education offers a range of services to students seeking higher education abroad. These services include:
Counseling: Our team of professionals with over a decade of experience provides unlimited counseling support to students throughout their journey with us. We guide students through the entire process, ensuring a smooth admission process.
College Selection: We maintain an updated list of colleges that are ideal for Indian students looking to study abroad. From recommending the best college to providing “done for you” services, we offer:
a) Scholarship guidance – Our team keeps up-to-date with ongoing scholarship programs and assists students in availing them.
b) Seat locking – We have tie-ups with top medical colleges in Nepal and other countries, ensuring students don’t miss an opportunity to secure admission to their dream college.
c) Travel/Visa Assistance – We understand the complexities of travel and visa procedures and thus offer students our assistance throughout the entire process, ensuring smooth travels.