MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology is a full-time postgraduate medical course that spans three years. It combines two medical specialities that deal with female reproductive organs, namely obstetrics (during pregnancy) and gynaecology (outside of pregnancy). These two specialities are often combined to create a single medical discipline and postgraduate training program.
The MD Obstetrics & Gynecology course focuses on various topics such as Obstetrics Pathology, Gynecological Obstetrics and Gynecology, and common diseases related to pregnancy. It also covers neonatal hygiene, infant care, and breastfeeding. The course equips students with the necessary skills to manage complicated pregnancies, perform obstetric operations, and handle common disorders related to newborn babies. After completing this course, individuals can pursue a rewarding career in the field of Obstetrics & Gynecology.
In India, there are a total of 404 colleges/hospitals offering the MD Obstetrics and Gynaecology course, with a total of 3552 seats available. The number of seats available for MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology is not easily available as it is a different course.
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||MBBS with minimum 50% marks in aggregate|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam + Group Discussion/Personal Interview|
|Average Course Fee||INR 10,000 to 5 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 3 to 20 lakhs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Fortis Healthcare, MAX Healthcare, Care Hospitals, Indian Council of Medical Research, Apollo Hospitals, Kailash Hospital, Adecco India Private Limited, Jaypee healthcare limited, Meditrina Hospitals Private Limited, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Colleges & Universities, Medical Colleges, Govt./ Pvt. Hospitals, Content Writing (Medical), Nursing Homes, Medical Labs|
MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology Eligibility
- Candidates must have completed an undergraduate MBBS degree from a college or university recognized by the Medical Council of India.
- The recognition cut-off dates for the medical college’s MBBS Degree courses and compulsory rotatory internship must be as prescribed by the MCI.
- Candidates are required to have completed a one-year compulsory rotating internship in a teaching institution or other institution recognized by the MCI.
- Candidates must have obtained permanent registration with any State Medical Council.
Meeting these eligibility requirements is necessary to apply for and be considered for admission to an MD in Obstetrics and Gynecology program.
Read Also :
- Applicants must clear the NEET PG medical exam conducted by NBE.
- Aspirants must qualify NEET-PG with the required cutoff percentile in individual categories, i.e. 50th percentile for the general category, and 40th percentile for SC, ST, and OBC categories, to get admission in MD Obstetrics and Gynecology.
- The NEET-PG cutoff for MD Obstetrics and Gynecology is relatively high due to its high demand and limited seat availability in top private and government medical colleges in India.
- Seats for MD Obstetrics and Gynecology are available under various quotas like All India Quota seats, Management quota seats, Institutional quota seats, and NRI quota seats, etc.
- Students can opt for these quotas during NEET-PG Counseling.
- Gynaecologists are hired in various settings, including nursing homes, government hospitals, private clinics, and pharmaceutical organizations.
- Postgraduates in gynaecology can pursue private practice or advanced research.
- Advanced research can be pursued through courses such as PhD in a specific branch of gynaecology.
- There are various job positions available for individuals with MD Obstetrics & Gynecology, such as Family Physician, Gynecologist Physician, Obstetrician Physician, and Consultant.
- The average salaries for these job positions are INR 12 LPA, INR 10 LPA, INR 9 LPA, and INR 8 LPA, respectively.
Top University to Pursue MD in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
|Institute||City||Average Fees (INR)|
|Armed Forces Medical College||Pune, Maharashtra||INR 64,400 PA|
|Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute||Bangalore, Karnataka||INR 95,000 PA|
|Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Government Medical College – [BJMC], Pune||Pune, Maharashtra||INR 72,650 PA|
|Christian Medical College||Vellore, Tamil Nadu||INR 1,17,000 PA|
|Christian Medical College||Ludhiana, Punjab||INR 1,33,000 PA|
|Government Medical College||Amritsar, Punjab||INR 11,000 PA|
|Government Medical College||Surat, Gujarat||INR 14,000 PA|
|Government Medical College||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala||INR 61,666 PA|
|Grant Medical College||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 82,400 PA|
|Institute of Post-Graduate Medical Education and Research||Kolkata, West Bengal||INR 10,000 PA|
|Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research – [JIPMER]||Pondicherry||INR 6,200 PA|
|Kasturba Medical College||Mangalore, Karnataka||INR 12,50,000 PA|
|Lady Harding Medical College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 10,000 PA|
|Lokmanya Tilak Municipal Medical College||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 86,825 PA|
|Madras Medical College||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 13,667 PA|
|Maulana Azad Medical College||New Delhi, Delhi NCR||INR 10,000 PA|
|Osmania Medical College||Hyderabad, Telangana||INR 66,666 PA|
|SMS Medical College||Jaipur, Rajasthan||INR 6,000 PA|
|Sri Ramachandra University||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||INR 14,00,000 PA|
AR Group of Education is a leading provider of comprehensive services for students interested in pursuing an MD/MS course from a leading university. Our team of highly professional experts assists students at every stage of the process to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience.
if you want to pursue an MD/MS course and are looking for a reliable partner who can guide you through the entire process, get in touch with AR Group of Education today. With our expert guidance and support, you can achieve your academic goals and take the first step towards a successful career in the field of medicine.