A total of 10945 medical seats will be available in Karnataka’s 66 medical institutions by the year 2023. There are 66 medical schools in Karnataka, however only 21 of them are government institutions, making up less than one-third of the total. The remaining 45 medical schools are private schools. A total of 3200 government medical seats will be available in Karnataka in 2023, with the remaining 7745 seats open to admission to private medical schools in the state. Given Karnataka’s abundance of medical schools, postgraduate medical education clearly has a bright future.
As a result, students can pursue a postgraduate degree at 55 medical schools in Karnataka, which together offer more than 5,000 places for the MD, MS, and diploma programs! There are 20 government medical colleges in Karnataka out of them.
Karnataka is a state located in the southwestern part of India. It is known for its rich cultural heritage, diverse landscapes, and historical significance. Several prestigious medical colleges and universities are situated in Karnataka that offer MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) degree programs. These institutions provide quality medical education and training to aspiring doctors. Students from all over India and even from abroad seek admission to these colleges to pursue their dream of becoming medical professionals. Karnataka has a well-established healthcare infrastructure and is a popular destination for medical education in the country.
Overview of Karnataka
|Area||191,791 square kilometers (74,051 sq mi)|
|Population||Approximately 69 million (as of 2021)|
|State Tree||Sandalwood (Santalum album)|
|State Flower||Lotus (Nelumbo nucifera)|
|Major Industries||Information Technology, Agriculture, Manufacturing, Tourism|
Fees for Private Medical Colleges
Refer to the below table for Total Tuition Fees, MBBS intake, Establishment Year, Cut off for All India Quota, and State Quota Seats for every private Medical College in Karnataka.
|College Name||Govt Fees||Private Fees||NRI Fees||Other Fees|
|A J Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Mangalore||1,41,196||9,94,406||40,12,450||40,12,450|
|Akash Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Devanhalli, Bangalore, Karnataka||1,41,196||1092602||4011950||4011950|
|Al-Ameen Medical College,Vijapur||1,41,196||1092602||30,12,450||30,12,450|
|BGS Global Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore||1,41,196||9,94,406||4412450||4412450|
|Dr BR Ambedkar Medical College, Bangalore||1,41,196||9,94,406||40,12,450||40,12,450|
|East Point College of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Bangalore||1,41,196||9,94,406||38,12,450||38,12,450|
|Father Mullers Medical College, Mangalore||1,41,196||9,94,406||32,12,450||32,12,450|
|G R Medical College Hospital & Research Centre , Mangalore||1,41,196||1092602||32,65,500||32,65,500|
|JJM Medical College, Davangere||1,41,196||9,94,406||54,12,450||54,12,450|
|K V G Medical College, Sullia||1,41,196||9,94,406||2812450||2812450|
|Kanachur Institute of Medical Sciences, Mangalore||1,41,196||1092602||35,12,450||35,12,450|
|Kempegowda Institute of Medical Sciences, Bangalore||1,41,196||9,94,406||40,12,450||40,12,450|
|Mahadevappa Rampure Medical College, Kalaburagi, Gulbarga||1,41,196||9,94,406||41,81,900||41,81,900|
|MVJ Medical College and Research Hospital, Bangalore||1,41,196||1092602||40,12,450||40,12,450|
|Navodaya Medical College, Raichur||1,41,196||1092602||30,12,450||30,12,450|
|S S Institute of Medical Sciences& Research Centre, Davangere||1,41,196||9,94,406||45,12,450||45,12,450|
|S. Nijalingappa Medical College & HSK Hospital & Research Centre, Bagalkot||1,41,196||9,94,406||42,12,450||42,12,450|
|Sapthagiri Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Bangalore||1,41,196||9,94,406||50,12,450||50,12,450|
|Shridevi Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Hospital, Tumkur||1,41,196||9,94,406||36,12,450||36,12,450|
|Siddaganga Medical College & Research Institute,Tumkaru||1,41,196||9,94,406||32,12,450||32,12,450|
|Sri Basaveswara Medical College and Hospital, Chitradurga||1,41,196||9,94,406||45,12,450||45,12,450|
|Srinivasa Institute of Medical Research Centre, Srinivasnagar, mangalore||1,41,196||1092602||4012450||40,12,450|
|St. Johns Medical College, Bangalore||738380||40,12,450|
|Subbaiah Institute of Medical Sciences, Shimoga, Karnataka||1,41,196||1092602||3912350||39,12,350|
|The Oxford Medical College, Hospital & Research Centre, Bangalore||1,41,196||1092602||3412450||34,12,450|
|Vydehi Institute Of Medical Sciences & Research Centre, Bangalore||1,41,196||1092602||4012450||40,12,450|
|Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences Bellur||1,41,196||18,15,500||3415500||34,15,500|
|Dr. Chandramma Dayananda Sagar Instt. of Medical Education & Research, Harohalli, Hubli||1,44,246||20,15,500||3515000||35,15,500|
|Khaja Bandanawaz University – Faculty of Medical Sciences, Gulbarga||144246||16,30,465||32,15,500||32,15,500|
|M S Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore||144246||22,15,500||4015500||4015500|
|SDM College of Medical Sciences & Hospital, Sattur, Dharwad||144246||18,75,000||3515500||35,15,500|
Private Medical Colleges Vs MBBS Abroad
The MBBS abroad program has many advantages over private medical college studies in India. To understand the values we obtain in MBBS Abroad on numerous vital aspects, which are essential before choosing the proper path. MBBS in abroad programs and private medical colleges have distinct characteristics, and students need to consider these factors when making their choice.
- University Type: MBBS abroad programs offer both public and private universities for medical education.
- World Ranking: Many foreign universities providing MBBS programs have global rankings and reputations
- Recognition: These universities are recognized by prestigious organizations such as WHO, WFME, ECFMG, US GMC, UK medical councils, and other international medical bodies.
- Teaching Experience: Some universities abroad have been established for several decades and have extensive teaching experience.
- Tuition Fee 5/6 Years: The tuition fees for MBBS abroad programs are generally more affordable, ranging from 3-5 Lacs per year.
- Global Exposure: MBBS abroad offers a highly diverse student population, allowing students to interact with peers from different countries and cultures.
- Teaching Methodology: MBBS programs abroad often employ small group teaching with 15-20 students per batch, and there are regular tests after each conceptual class.
- Grading of Academics: The European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) is commonly used for grading and academic credit transfer.
- Opportunities for Global Medical PG: Graduates from MBBS abroad programs have opportunities to pursue postgraduate medical education in countries like the US, Canada, Gulf region, UK, and various European countries, including India.
- Patient Interaction: Students in MBBS abroad programs usually have moderate to high exposure to patient interaction.
- Affiliated Hospitals: These universities have tie-ups with multiple hospitals, providing exposure to different medical specialties.
Private Medical Colleges in India:
- University Type: Private medical colleges in India are typically privately owned institutions.
- World Ranking: World rankings for private medical colleges in India may not be available or as prominent as for foreign universities.
- Recognition: Private medical colleges in India are recognized by the National Medical Commission (NMC) and may have limited international recognition.
- Teaching Experience: Some private medical colleges in India may have been established recently, resulting in a relatively shorter teaching experience.
- Tuition Fee 5/6 Years: Tuition fees for private medical colleges in India can be relatively higher, ranging from 8-15 Lacs per year.
- Global Exposure: Private medical colleges in India may have limited global exposure, with a primarily local or national student population.
- Teaching Methodology: Teaching methodology may involve larger batches of students, typically ranging from 100-150 students per batch.
- Grading of Academics: Grading systems in private medical colleges often follow the university-level system, and some may adopt Competency-Based Medical Education (CBME).
- Opportunities for Global Medical PG: While graduates from private medical colleges in India can pursue postgraduate medical education, the options are primarily within India.
- Patient Interaction: Patient interaction in private medical colleges in India may vary but could be comparatively lower than in MBBS abroad programs.
- Affiliated Hospitals: Private medical colleges usually have their affiliated college hospitals for practical training and clinical exposure.
Courses Offered in Karnataka
They offer undergraduate (MBBS), postgraduate (M.D, MS) and postgraduate courses.
|MBBS||4.6+1 year Internship|
PG Courses in Karnataka
Here, you can get information about the PG Courses offered with Intake and Duration details.
|MD – Anaesthesiology||3 Year||MS – Otorhinolaryngology||3 Year|
|MD – Bio-Chemistry||3 Year||MS – Orthopaedics||3 Year|
|MD – Dermatology, Venereology & Leprosy||3 Year||MS – General Surgery||3 Year|
|MD – General Medicine||3 Year||MD/MS – Ophthalmology||3 Year|
|MD – Microbiology||3 Year||MD – Social & Preventive Medicine / Community Medicine||3 Year|
|MD – Paediatrics||3 Year||MD – Respiratory Medicine||3 Year|
|MD – Pathology||3 Year||MD – Radio Diagnosis/Radiology||3 Year|
|MD – Pharmacology||3 Year||–||–|
In this choice, we’ll inform you about the MBBS Syllabus. Let’s look at it.
|Pre-clinical||1-2: Two Semesters||Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology|
|Para-clinical||3-4-5: Three Semesters||Community Medicine; Forensic Medicine, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Clinical postings inwards, OPDs to begin here|
|Clinical||6-7-8-9: Four Semesters||Community Medicine, Medicine and allied subjects (Psychiatry, Dermatology); Obst. Gynae.; Pediatrics; Surgery and allied subjects (Anesthesiology, ENT, Ophthalmology, Orthopaedics); Clinical postings|
When you are selected for the MBBS Internship, we will let you know. Let’s look at it.
|Subjects||Compulsory Time Duration for Internship|
|Community Medicine||2 months|
|Medicine, including Psychiatry||2 months|
|Surgery, including Anesthesia||2 months|
|Orthopedics including PMR||1 month|
|Elective Posting||15 days|
The Admission Process
Candidates must pass the NEET UG exam in order to be considered for admission to MBBS in India. The National Testing Agency (NTA) administers this exam, which is used as a standard entrance exam for medical programmes at numerous institutions around the nation. Candidates must obtain the minimum qualifying marks required by the NTA in order to be considered for additional admissions procedures.
MBBS Admission Process:
- Qualify the NEET UG entrance exam
- Check NTA NEET eligibility criteria
- Participate in Karnataka NEET Counseling
- Complete Seat allotment process
- Undergo document verification
- Make the necessary fee payment to confirm admission
MD/MS Admission Process:
- Qualify the NEET PG entrance exam
- Participate in Karnataka NEET PG Counseling
- Undergo Seat allotment process
- Verification of the documents
- Make the necessary fee payment to confirm admission.
Mentioned below the eligibility of MBBS and MD/MS courses
- Completion of the 10+2 examination or its equivalent examination.
- Candidates must have obtained a minimum of 50% marks in the qualifying examination.
- Possession of an MBBS degree or its equivalent degree.
- Candidates must have successfully completed the MBBS course.
Candidates who will be allotted a seat in this college will be asked to report the following documents to complete the formalities.
For UG Candidates
- NEET UG Admit Card
- NEET UG Scorecard or Rank Letter
- Class 10 certificate and mark sheet (for date of birth)
- Class 12 certificate and mark sheet
- ID proof (Aadhar/PAN Card/Driving License/Passport)
- Eight passport-size photographs
- Provisional Allotment Letter
- Caste Certificate (if applicable)
- PWD Certificate (if applicable)
For PG Candidates
- MBBS Certificate.
- MBBS 3rd Part II mark sheet.
- Medical Registration Certificate.
- Internship Completion Certificate.
- Photo identity proof in the form of a Certificate with an attested photo of birth is not given in the
- HSC mark sheet/ certificate).
- NEET PG Score Card.
- Copy of Online Counseling Registration Certificate.
- Sponsorship Certificate from State Govt. If applicable.
- Passport size Photographs 8 copies.
NEET-UG Exam Dates 2023
On Sunday, May 7, 2023, the National Testing Agency (NTA) will administer the NEET (UG) 2023 test in pen and paper format. The test will function as a standard entrance examination for MBBS admission as well as other undergraduate medical programs like BDS, BAMS, BUMS, and BHMS.
|EVENT||NEET 2022||NEET 2023|
|NEET exam notification||6th April||15th Dec 2022|
|NEET application form date by NTA||6th April||March 23|
|Last date to submit NEET application form||20th May||April 23|
|NEET UG Admit Card Release Date||1st/2nd Week Jul||4th May 2023|
|NEET Exam Date||17th July||7th May 2023|
|NEET Result||7th Sept||13th June 2023|
Karnataka NEET-UG Counseling 2023 Dates
Both the All India Counseling and the State Counseling of Karnataka allocate seats in stages. This is owing to the fact that many seats become available as a result of students quitting their jobs because they didn’t get accepted to the colleges of their choice, couldn’t afford the tuition, or couldn’t provide documentation of the category they applied under, among other reasons. All such seats become available for the subsequent rounds once the deadlines for reporting to the college, making fee deposits, and submitting documentation have passed. The information about the counseling rounds used for MBBS Seat Allocation in All India and State Counseling is provided in the table below.
|Announcement of Counseling Dates 2023||11th July|
|All India Quota seats /Deemed Universities/Central Universities (Round-1) 2023||15th-26th July|
|All India Quota seats /Deemed Universities/Central Universities (Round-2) 2023||8th-18th Aug|
|All India Quota seats /Deemed Universities/Central Universities (Mop Up Round) 2023||31st Aug – 6th Sept|
|All India Quota seats /Deemed Universities/Central Universities (Stray Round) 2023||18th Sept – 23rd Sept|
|Karnataka State Counseling 2023 (Round-1 / Round-2 / Mop Up / Stray Round)||15th July – 15th Sept|
NEET UG 2023 Cutoff
The following is the NEET UG cutoff 2023:
|Category||NEET 2023 Cut-off Percentile||NEET 2023 Cut-off Marks||No. of Candidates|
|General/ EWS||50th Percentile||720-137||1,014,372|
|General/ EWS- PH||45th Percentile||136-121||405|
|OBC- PH||40th Percentile||120-107||179|
|SC- PH||40th Percentile||120-107||50|
|ST- PH||40th Percentile||120-108||23|
NEET PG 2023 Cutoff
You may forecast the NEET PG Categories-wise cutoff for 2023 using the information regarding the NBE NEET PG 2023 expected cutoff that is provided in this section. Let’s look at it.
|Category||Minimum Qualifying/Eligibility Criteria||Cut-off (Out of 800)|
|General / EWS||50th percentile||291|
|SC/ST/ OBC (Including PwBD of SC/ST/OBC)||40th percentile||257|
How to Register for Karnataka NEET UG Counseling 2023
Step 1: Online Registration
- Visit the website: kea.kar.nic.in.
- Use your NEET-UG roll number and email ID (used in AI-NEET-UG registration) for registration.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and provide the required details.
- Your AI-NEET-UG registration details will be displayed.
- Make an online payment of Rs. 2,000/- using Netbanking/ Credit/ Debit Card.
- An SMS will be sent to your registered mobile number to confirm successful registration.
- Note the password you create during registration for choice filling.
- After successful payment, you will receive a Transaction number and registration number on your mobile.
Step 2: Online Security Money Payment
- Candidates eligible for choice filling need to make an online payment of Rs. 30,000/- for Government seats and Rs. 2,00,000/- for Private seats as security money.
- After paying the security money and when the state merit list is announced, the online seat choice filling will be available as per the schedule.
- Candidates can take a printout of their online payment receipt.
Step 3: Merit Declaration
- The state merit list will be based on AI-NEET-UG 2022 ranking.
- The final merit list will be published on the website.
Step 4: Online Choice Filling
- Visit the official website and click on the choice filling option.
- Log in using your credentials.
- You can do choice filling in multiple sessions, but remember to save and continue to avoid losing your work.
- The choice filling will be considered complete only after you finally submit and lock your choices.
- After choice filling, seat allotment results will be displayed online.
Step 5: Seat Allotment
- Log in to the website to check your seat allotment status.
- The seat allotment details will be displayed on the website.
We the AR Group Of Education guide you on each step of your journey and help you to connect the bricks to get a better future for you. We have highly skilled experts with an experience of more than 10 years in this field to guide you choose the correct colleges for MBBS in Karnataka. Hence, you may consult us to clear any kind of dilemma regarding your career.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)