Russia is known as one of the renowned countries for higher education. Over the past decades, higher education has taken a significant change. Russian Universities have now become the hub for modern and higher education.
The education system in Russia is known to be a highly qualified system. Modern technologies are being adapted and the universities are being equipped with modern infrastructures.
Education in Russia offers a great opportunity. The country has a unique cultural and historical heritage. It has a rich tradition that can be explored and learned.
Study MBBS in Russia
Russia has been a popular destination for International Students who wants to pursue medicine Abroad. Russia is one of the best and safe places for Indian students to study MBBS Abroad. Many students from India and around the world have come to pursue MBBS in Russia.
Russia has about 87 medical universities. Out of these universities, there are more than 15 universities in Russia offering MBBS in English medium. The best thing about universities in Russia is the low student-teacher ratio. This, in turn, provides high-quality education to the students as the professor can pay more attention to each student in the class.
Medical Universities in Russia have a course duration of 6 years. For the first three years of the medical program, the students are focused on their theoretical subjects which include biology, medical physics, chemistry, biochemistry, human anatomy, histology, physiology, microbiology, foreign languages, social sciences. Students are involved in basic clinical training since their first year, to understand the basic nursing care and clinical examinations. In the last 3 years of the medical program, the students learn clinical subjects such as internal medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynecology, public health and prevention.
Russian education paves the way for the students to access modern laboratories and other science centers. Many professors in universities are highly qualified professionals. Most of the professors hold Ph.D. Degrees.
Any student who pursues MBBS in Russia can apply for jobs anywhere around the world. Some of the top medical universities in Russia are approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI), Medical Council of Canada (MCC); recognized by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education of Russia; certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG); registered with Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), and are also listed with the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS). These global recognitions enables the graduates to work anywhere around the subject to clearance of the Medical Licensing Examination.
Practice Medicine in India
Practicing medicine in India paves the way to plenty of scopes after MBBS in Russia. Firstly, after the graduation or after the 6-year course is completed, the graduate must appear for the Medical Council of India Screening Test (MCI Screening Test) also known as the Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE) conducted by the National Board of Examination (NBE) in India. To become a qualified Doctor, foreign medical students must clear the MCI screening test.
This examination is held twice a year, in the month of June and December.
After clearing the MCI Screening Test, the graduate students must attend the one-year mandatory internship. Through the internship, the students are given hands-on training to perfect themselves before they are actually being called a Doctor.
Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE) is an examination conducted by the National Board of Examinations (NBE) in India.
Any Indian citizen or overseas citizen of India who obtains their medical qualifications from countries outside India but wants to get the provisional or permanent registration with the Medical Council of India must qualify the MCI Screening Test/FMGE.
Below are few of the general instructions which a candidate must follow:
- Candidate must know that appearing for FMGE does not give them the right to secure the provisional or permanent registration. They should clear the examination in order to be a qualified doctor.
- Candidate must provide correct information while filling the form. If a candidate is found providing false or fabricated information, he/she is liable to be barred from appearing in any future examinations conducted by NBE.
- Before filling the application form, the candidates are suggested to go through the information bulletin carefully for the eligibility criteria, scheme, and pattern of the examination, etc.
- If the application is incomplete or the application is not in accordance with the format prescribed by the NBE, the application is liable to be rejected.
- Once the payment is made for the application, the fee will neither be refunded nor be carried forward for future use under any circumstances. Payment received after the due date, shall not be entertained and fee shall not be returned in such cases.
- Application once submitted, cannot be withdrawn.
- If any candidate is not found eligible to appear for FMGE even though the admit card/testing ID is issued, NBE reserves the right to withdraw the candidate’s permission to appear for the exam.
- The exam center once selected cannot be changed after the application form is submitted. Any application for changing the exam center will not be entertained.
- Information in the bulletin is liable to change based on the decisions taken by the Medical Council of India or other related institutions. Therefore, candidates are advised to keep a regular check on the latest updates provided on the NBE website http://www.nbe.edu.in.
The candidates must meet the following criteria to appear for the FMGE/MCI screening test:
- Candidates must attain the primary medical qualification (MBBS) from the university approved by MCI.
- The candidates must provide proof/documentary evidence in support of the candidate having passed the final examination.
- Candidates who graduated from Australia/Canada/New Zealand/ United Kingdom/United States of America, seeking provisional or permanent registration are exempted from appearing for the Screening Test.
Documents required on the day of examination:
- A printed copy of the Admit Card issued by NBE.
- Candidate’s photograph (min 35x45mm), which indicates the name of the candidate and the date of capturing at the bottom of the photograph (should be pasted on the admit card)
- Any of the authorized photo Identity:
- PAN Card
- Driving License
- Voter ID
- Aadhar Card
Items not allowed at the Test Center
Following are the items that are not allowed to take inside the test center:
- Any stationery items, notes, plastic pouch, calculator, pen, writing pad, pen drive, eraser.
- Any electronic items like mobile phones, earphones, pager, wristwatch/ health band, calculator, etc.
- All ornaments like earrings, necklace, nose pin, brooch, etc.
- Wallets, goggles, handbags, belts, cap, etc.
- Eatable items, soft drinks, water bottles, etc.
- Any other items which could be used for unfair means.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the few frequently asked questions on FMGE:
Q: Is Russian MBBS degree valid in India?
A: To study MBBS in Russia, firstly, the candidate must ensure that the university they are pursuing their Medical degree from, is approved by MCI. Then after clearing the MCI screening test, they can practice in India. So, yes, the Russian MBBS degree is valid in India.
Q: Does Russia MBBS have value?
A: The degree a student attains from Russia has the same value as that of the MBBS from India after she/he clears the MCI Screening Test.
Q: What is the Scope after MBBS in Russia?
A: Most of the Top Medical Universities are approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI), Medical Council of Canada (MCC), Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER), listed with the World Directory of Medical Science (WDOMS), certified by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), and are recognized by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education, Russia. These world recognitions pave the way to bright future career options for the students who complete their MBBS from Russia. They can apply for a job anywhere around the world and practice medicine after they clear the country-specific Medical Licensing Examination.
Q: Are the universities recognized by MCI excluded from the MCI screening test?
A: Universities that are recognized by MCI are not excluded from the MCI Screening Test. The universities might provide the MCI coaching but that doesn’t exclude a medical graduate from appearing for MCI screening examination. They will have to clear the MCI Screening Test to be a qualified doctor to practice medicine in India.
Thus, to conclude, the students who are studying MBBS in Russia and Abroad must clear the MCI Screening Test to be able to practice in India.